Thursday, February 9, 2012

Running the Marathon Route – Kirsty

During the past week training felt like it was getting a little more serious! I am glad I have a training plan as it's easy to plan and check off the runs when they're done! I tend to plot out my route on www.mapmyrun.com the night before so I have an idea of where I'll be going before I head out.

Last week I did my six-mile run on the hills of Comm. Ave in Newton. I figured if I run them enough it will be less of a mental hurdle on race day. That run went well and I followed it up with a five-mile run around Newton Highlands later in the week. I'm trying really hard to make sure I stretch after my workouts as I tend to skip over that and I know it will be crucial to avoiding injury as the mileage increases. I've had a little nagging plantar fasciitis for a few months now and am just hoping it doesn't get any worse!

I was scheduled to do my long runs on Sundays with a shorter five-mile run on Saturdays. Last weekend I knew I was supposed to run 10 to 12 miles on Sunday but by Saturday I was just dying to get out there and try it after being sick the weekend before. Waiting until Sunday just seemed to be dragging it out. Saturday was a gorgeous day so I got out there around lunchtime (my daughter still naps in the early afternoon, which has ended up being my default running time on the weekends!) and did 10 miles on the Marathon route. I felt great and that helped my confidence for some of the longer runs ahead. I started out very slow as I was more concerned with covering the distance than my speed, which instigated some sarcasm from my husband about my lack of speed when I returned!

I also made a little purchase this week. I decided to invest in a fuel belt. I had been running with a small water bottle in my hand but figured as the runs get longer I might need some more water or Gatorade on board. I tried it out on my long run last weekend and after getting over that I looked a bit geeky I appreciated its benefits! I am in desperate need of some more shirts as I've worn holes in two old ones already!

This week I did another seven miles around Newton and have to admit, my motivation was not where it was last week. I guess the novelty has worn off but I'm sure that will pass as the miles increase! I am supposed to do eight miles today and I am trying to figure out how I am going to get that done as I only have an hour free to run and I am certainly not at eight mph speed - or anywhere close!

In the meantime, I'm keeping an eye on the weather for this weekend's 14-mile run!

No comments: