Monday, March 7, 2011

Managing My Time While Training – Jenna

This weekend I finished my 20-mile run! I ran from the Natick Armory to South Boston with the L Street Running club. This is the farthest I have run in one single bout to date! Most of the route was the Marathon course, which included the three big hills, including Heartbreak Hill! This was great because I became familiar with what I will be challenged with on race day. I had no idea how much the hills would fatigue my legs, and towards the end of the run it was pretty tough to keep going! However, I am so happy I had the experience this past weekend and have a better idea of what to expect.

I ran with my running buddy, Ture and we had a lot of time to talk during those three hours. I asked him if he had time to spend with family and friends during this time, especially as our mileage gets up high and our runs take longer and longer. He said it has required a lot of planning and sometimes saying "no" to things. We both agreed it can be a bit stressful. It made me feel a bit better, as it has been a bit of a challenge to manage my time and still have somewhat of a social life. For example, Saturday night I was at a friend’s birthday dinner until almost midnight (I was the first to leave - early bird), woke up at 5:45 am to catch the bus to the training run that started at 6:45 am, ran until 11:00 am, quickly showered and was at a baby shower at 12:30. I get a bit stressed trying to keep it all straight sometimes, but it’s nice to know I am not the only one! I know it will all be worth it come race day!

No comments: