Monday, February 28, 2011

Toughest Week Yet – Jenna

This past week I had a bit of a setback. I was not able to get my long run for last week in until this past Monday, due to the below 0 temperatures on Sunday in Vermont. I woke up early Monday morning and got all my gear together for a 15 miler along the Charles. Unfortunately, I forgot to check the weather, and it was snowing. I decided I wasn't going to let this get the best of me, so I packed on the layers and headed out. The Charles walking/running/biking trails had yet to be plowed and were extremely slick. Not to mention the snow was coming in sideways and I was having trouble seeing. All was well until mile 11, when I wiped out. I went down sideways on both knees, and it took me a good five minutes to get the feeling back in the lower half of my body. I decided to walk for five minutes or so, and compose myself, and wouldn't you know I fell again – on both knees. I knew at this point I had done some damage. I managed to jog/walk the last mile home, so unbelievably disappointed I couldn't finish. When I got home and could assess the damage, I found I had bumps on both knees where things had already swelled up, both knees were cut open, and already semi-bruised – worst case scenario. So to make a long story short, sore knees and hips, coupled with my shin splints, made for a very light week. I was able to get about seven miles in two 3.5-mile runs, and an hour of yoga.

I was super disappointed about this, but I knew taking the time to heal was important as I approach my longest runs yet. I had to skip my long run this weekend, and am hoping to make up some of that lost mileage this week in preparation for my 18 miler this weekend. Trying to keep my chin up here! Stay Tuned!

No comments: