Friday, April 16, 2010

My “First Marathon” Experience – Maureen

Three days to go! I started my training three months ago today and the marathon seemed so far away then but now it's finally almost here. My last run is scheduled for this afternoon, an easy four miles around Castle Island, and I may go for a walk tomorrow. I plan on picking up my bib number this afternoon at the marathon expo and just taking it easy the rest of the weekend… get lots of rest, eat lots of pasta (yay!) and drink lots of water. I know I'll be nervous the morning of but right now I'm just really excited.

My knee and hip are feeling okay, but then again I haven't run since my last long run. My knee was begging for rest after that run so the past two weeks have pretty much consisted of easy cardio, stretching, my physical therapy exercises and mentally psyching myself up for the big day. Since I don't know how my knee will hold up, my initial goals for this marathon have changed quite a bit. I'm no longer focused on finishing within a certain timeframe... I'm basically just looking to enjoying my time on the course, taking in the cheering crowds, and crossing the finish line, at whatever time that may be! There are a few people who've said they'll jump in and run with me at certain points on the course, where I may need some additional encouragement, so I'm looking forward to that as well.

My coworkers and some of the Shipley Fitness Center members surprised me this morning with a “Good Luck Moe” poster that they signed with well wishes, which was AWESOME!!! It really helps to read those words of encouragement and know that so many people are behind you. You only get one "first marathon" experience and so far mine has been pretty sweet. I cannot wait for Monday and wish good luck to everyone else running!!

No comments: