Friday, February 5, 2010

On the Team - Donna

My name is Donna and I work at Newton-Wellesley in the Health Care Quality Department. I started running almost three years ago after the birth of my second son. Like many runners, I find this activity is a time for me to tune out all the daily requests from family, work and life and just enjoy the time alone with my thoughts. My approach to running marathons is different than most, as my goal has never been about the time but is more about finishing the race. Previous to the upcoming Boston marathon, I ran the Amica Marathon in Newport, RI. I have always wanted to run the Boston Marathon. Many of my friends are on charity teams and tell me stories about the crowds and the runners they have met along the way. So when I heard about the NWH team, I put my name in for the drawing. Now that it's confirmed I’m on the team, the reality of training and where I need to be is starting to sink in. With the help of friends and trainers I know running this year will be an exciting and memorable experience. Most of my training takes place in the evening and, as most of you know, the weather in New England can be a challenge this time of year. One of my favorite quotes about running from Bill Bowerman is “There’s no such thing as bad weather, just soft people”. So if you see me among the many runners that train on Washington Street this time of year stop and say hello!

No comments: