Thursday, February 14, 2008

Medical Advice - Sheila Partridge, MD, Medical Director, Center for Weight Loss Surgery

I think John Tiso's advice is excellent. One should experiment with products and find out what works well during the training process. "Carbo loading" will only lead to dumping for a gastric bypass patient or fatigue shortly thereafter. The real focus should be on remaining hydrated with electrolyte replacement and paying attention to the post-race recovery meal to replete energy stores. At the Newton-Wellesley Hospital Center for Weight Loss Surgery, we have a registered dietitian, Sue Miller, who is both a runner herself and a dietitian for gastric bypass surgery patients. She can provide helpful advice for gastric bypass patients training for marathons.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I had gastric bypass on July 2, 2008 and ran a half marathon on Sunday March 1, 2009. While I trained for the run I found myself running out of fuel around mile 8 and by 13 was just about out completely. What kind of supplements can I use to help keep me gassed up and ready to go?

Unknown said...

I had gastric bypass on July 2, 2008 and ran a half marathon on March 1, 2009. While I trained for the run I was almost out of fuel by mile 8 and by 13 thought I would die. It took me almost 2 days to recover and was still sore. The weather had a lot to do with it as it was 29 degrees and the morning of a Noreaster that hit Maryland. What can I do to better fuel up and during the run as I want to run the Marine Corps Marathon in the fall.