Monday, January 28, 2008

Some Weeks are Like That - John

Had a rough week. My kids were sick, and they tend to act as Petri dishes and spread their sickness to us. So I did not run much this week. I decided not to run the Derry 16-mile race. Instead, my friend Jimmy came over and we ran a 10-mile loop course I have measured through Chelmsford and Westford back to my house. Jimmy runs faster for the first 10K and starts to fade after that. So I gave him my energy gel pack, which was probably a good thing, since my stomach was bothering me from being sick all week. He finished up at about 9.5, and wanted a “cool down” walk, so I ran ahead the half mile and ran back to meet him. The weather conditions were tough, as it was snowing heavily. We finished up and we both pre-registered for the Eastern States 20. This is a 20-mile Boston Prep Race three weeks and a day before Boston that starts in Maine, runs through NH and ends in Salisbury.

This looks like a busy week at home, as my wife has to go to her graduate school classes on Thursday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday. So, I took a “recovery run” today with Molly. It was tough as we had to pick our feet up a lot higher due to the slush (or paws in her case!) We did 3.5 miles. I then hired my friend Steve's daughter to come over Saturday so I can run. Jimmy is running a 5K race on Superbowl Sunday, but I want to stick with a long 10-plus mile run. I spoke to my older son, and we may go over on Sunday and volunteer to help with the race.

No comments: